Friday, July 8, 2011

La plata

Paraguay manages to keep me very entertained. The way people speak Spanish or "castellano" as they call it rather than "español", is very choppy and incorrect. This makes me not feel so bad about making mistakes since it's all people's second language here as well. The one downside is that I am adapting my Spanish to fit in which sounds very terrible now; but the upside is that I'm learning a lot of Guaraní! My nerdy linguistic mind goes crazy when people understand me when I speak in Guaraní. I've been able to retain a lot of knowledge as well, which both excites me and fills me with want to learn a new language (Chinese, Hebrew, ???).

Money here is slightly overwhelming because of how many zeros everything has. Below is 2000 Guarani, about US$0.50.

PYG$100,000! or US$25.00!

And finally PYG$20,000. It even says it in Guaraní at the bottom of the bill. "Mokoi" means 2, "pa" means 10 and "su" means 1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment