Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spring Break...Cancún?

Hello readers, new and old. Many of you might have followed my posts as I was in Brazil but it's time for a new theme to guide my thoughts here. For the next few months I'll be posting about my upcoming trip to Yucatán, México!

So like my music and strange food choices, I like my Spring Breaks ALTERNATIVE. This March I'll be joining 24 other UCSC students to Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula for nine days to participate in a local school garden project that focuses on Mayan farming practices. For those of you who don't have Mexico on the brain like me, let me unpack that statement. Mexico is divided into states like the US as well as has informal region names like we do e.g. Midwest, East Coast, etc. Where I'll be going is the city of Tzucacab in the state of Yucatán, but I'll be flying into Cancún which is in a different state. You can see Yucatán is the state at the tip of Mexico's boot and the close up map even has Tzucacab on it!

Also, the Maya were/are one of Mexico and Central America's greatest indigenous populations. While Mel Gibson and other popular cinema may lead you to think that Mayans are a thing of the past, there is in fact a huge Mayan community in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and other areas of Central America. Los Angeles in fact has the second largest population of Mayan people outside of Guatemala City which is a community unique to what may be considered "Mexican", "Chicano" or otherwise. So yes--Mayan people exist, they have their own language (several dialects, actually) and I'm really excited to have a first-hand experience in Tzucacab.

Right now I'm in the process of raising $1,500 for my trip fee as well as my air fare. In addition to asking for donations, I'm applying for funds from my student government and writing a proposal to my college provost. This is my first experience applying for grants so I'm very excited to gain this skill as well. I've got a lot on my plate this quarter at my job as the Intercambio Coordinator and with graduation around the corner, but I promise to post here for updates. Ask me your questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment