Sunday, June 27, 2010

Baseball ≠ Futebol

A week ago, a few hours after Lyndsay left, actually, Caio Lygia and I picked up Filipe from the airport. Seeing him after two whole months of missing each other reminded me how important he has been to me here in Brazil. I also remembered how much Portuguese slang I didn't know and realized I say a lot of weird things in English that have to do with baseball, for example, 'out of your league'. In Brazil you would say 'too much sand for your truck'. I'm guessing the cliché was born in the USA on the count of major league baseball getting big in the twentieth century and in Brazil came from all the construction that went down in the 30's to industrialize? I've come to the conclusion that I say a lot of dumb old cliches in English.

Something I've also noticed recently that in English I am constantly talking about how "random" things are, especially in Rio because everything is in fact so goddamn random. I would say also like 'woah that came out of left field' which wouldn't make any sense here because hello, soccer. Soccer is one of the subjects where randomness is more talked about in Portuguese. When something comes out of nowhere you call the event a 'zebra'. The day that Italy lost to Slovakia 'PIZZA DA ZEBRA' (pizza of zebras) was all I heard on the news which was hilarious.

Speaking of Zebras, I think I've watched more soccer in the last few days than in my entire life. After we got Filipe we went directly to the huge outdoor theatre in Copacabana FIFA set up to watch games which without a doubt is the best organized event I've seen in Brazil. The amount of people out and about is comparable to the Carnaval parade which was a complete disaster. World Cup is more serious though because people don't drink as much and don't make out all over the place because they're watching their country tie with Portugual. What a boring game that was. Here's some pictures of me being the happiest girl in the world on a beach in Rio, watching Brazil play the World Cup with best friends and lover of my life.

Lygia and me with our green and yellow on game day. Notice the classic carioca douchebag in the background with his speedo, sunglasses and tan greasy bod.

Filipe and me wearing his sunglasses looking like a carioca douchebag-at least he looks nice.

He and I took a whole bunch of couply photobooth pictures which was interesting because people are still adjusting to apple products and those photo effect things are still funny. It was a big hit.


Saudades sem fim lobo, você é bastante areia para meu caminhãozinho <3sua>

No comments:

Post a Comment